Diet fads come and go with amazing regularity. There is not a day that goes by that some new ‘miracle’ weight loss regime is not featured in magazines, on television and especially online.
But the truth of the matter is that these diets remain popular for only a short period of time.
There are a number of reasons for this. First off, some of these diets require so much of a lifestyle change that people do not have the long term discipline to stick to them. Who wants to be measuring every ingredient by the gram for the foreseeable future? There is also the fact that some of the recipes in these diets are incredibly restrictive and don’t taste that good. The net result is that people very quickly gain back the weight they have lost.
The exception to this rule may very well be the ultra low carb keto diet. This diet has an amazing variety of ingredients and they’re delicious. The nature of the diet also means that you will not be feeling hungry the whole day.
Take for example these Keto lunch ideas.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
It’s not a guilty pleasure anymore. Bacon wrapped grilled or steamed asparagus and enough boiled eggs to keep the hunger pangs at bay for the whole day. You’ll also be enjoying a great superfood. Asparagus is filled to the brim with anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants. Bacon needs no words. And to top it all off, this is a meal that can be completed in just 10 minutes.
- Trim your asparagus
- Using two asparagus pieces, wrap them with one piece of bacon.
- When you have wrapped all of that you want, simply bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Eat them with the boiled eggs for a delicious, low carb lunch.
Who doesn’t love a great lasagna? This fabulous Keto friendly meal replaces pasta components with zucchini and that adds oodles of flavor along with some great textures to the dish. Pile on the cheese and you have a decadent meal that you will want to enjoy again and again. Zucchini is also a rich source of potassium so that makes it a real winner.
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, coconut oil, or lard
- 1/2 lb. spicy Italian sausage or sweet Italian sausage
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- medium-high large whole egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- large clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 large zucchini’s (sliced long ways to 1/4” pieces)
- 16oz Rao’s marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- Thinly and evenly slice your zucchini. Sprinkle salt on to pull out water and place to the side
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high.
- Crumble up the sausage and add to hot butter in skillet
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Coat your baking dish with butter or cooking spray (9×9 baking dish)
- In a small bowl, add the cheeses, 1 egg, the coconut flour, garlic powder and garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use a jar of marinara but make sure there is no sugar in the ingredients. Add Italian season and some red pepper flakes to the sauce in the jar and stir.
- Place the cut zucchini on a tee-towel or cheesecloth and try to get as much water out as possible.
- In the greased baking dish, add a layer of zucchini, then add 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle on about 1/4 of the Italian sausage and then layer the sauce.
- Repeat until your ingredients are gone with the sauce being the last layer. Add the remaining parmesan and mozarella cheese.
- Cover with some foil and then bake for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and bake for about 15 more minutes.
- Be sure to let it sit for about five to 10 minutes and cut and enjoy!
Loaded Cauliflower Bake
This is one of those Keto recipes that has it all. Butter, two types of cheeses (cream cheese and cheddar), bacon and another protein of your choice. You will love this. Baked creamy, crunchy goodness.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, separated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees
- Blanch the cauliflower for 2 minutes and then drain
- Set aside 1/4 tablespoon crumbled bacon and 1 tablespoon green onions to top the casserole.
- Using a medium pot, melt down the butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, mixing well
- In a baking dish, add in the cauliflower, cheese mix, bacon and green onions, stirring it all together
- Top with the remaining cheese, bacon and onions and bake for about 30 minutes. Check the cauliflower and if you want, keep baking until it is at desired tenderness.
These are only a few of the hundreds of Keto lunch ideas out available. Give them a try. You will not be disappointed.